Even though we are almost into the full swing of wedding season, some of you still may be searching for stellar vendors to make your event AMAZING! With that in mind, I thought this ever-so-helpful advice from our very own Mary Crafts-Homer would be perfect for anyone looking for a top-notch caterer. These “Top 5 Questions to Ask Your Caterer” are a good way to find out which caterer will fit your taste, style, and budget – so you can sit back and relax, knowing that you’ve picked the best fit for you and your wedding! Check it out!
1. Let your caterer know your budget up front and ask what would be the best fit for your event based on that budget. You may want a 7 course plated dinner for all your guests but that definitely adds major cost to your bottom line – so unless your budget allows for it, let the caterer suggest other options – such as a gorgeous dinner buffet with similar food options to cut your cost. If the caterer won’t work with your budget or tries to upsell you an event you aren’t sure you can afford – be wary. Also make sure that you trust your caterer enough to give you ideas you wouldn’t have thought of yourself, but also make sure that they keep your vision at the forefront. It’s your day, after all!
2. Ask if there are any additional costs for labor, alcohol service, gratuity, etc. that will be added into your final total. This is especially important if you have a tight budget and do not want to be surprised with the final bill the week before your wedding. Most caterers will outline any additional labor costs, extra staff costs, alcohol provider’s costs, and also suggest a gratuity based on your cost. Make sure you are aware of the costs involved and plan for your budget and there will be no surprises at the end. Also, remember the gratuity is based on the service provided. So your gratuity should reflect your overall happiness with the event and service.
3. Ask if the food is prepared on-site or in a kitchen off-site. Culinary Crafts prides itself on preparing their food at the event site (which is one of the reasons it is SO delicious and fresh). This allows you to plan for how much space the caterer will need to prepare the food and plan a layout where they will have their “back of house” or prep area. You don’t want to be figuring this out on the day of – you’ll have more important things to focus on!
4. Ask if they are a full service caterer or not. Meaning, are they just going to show up and make sure the food is taken care of? Or are they going to make sure that the layout is the way that you (the client) have envisioned? And that the cake shows up? Or that the rental company has delivered the chairs and linens you ordered? Culinary Crafts will make sure all facets of the event are taken care of from layout to set up to execution. Of course, a wedding planner would do this as well – so if you have hired one, Culinary Crafts will work closely with the planner to make sure everything goes off without a hitch. One less thing to worry about on your wedding day!
5. Ask other wedding vendors and past client about their experience with the caterer you are considering hiring. No matter what the reputation is of the caterer, you should ask vendors and clients you know and trust about their experience with the caterer to find out if they would recommend them or had any problems with them. It’s always important to know who you are doing business with. It’ll make sure you are happy in the long run!
Happy planning everyone!
Check out more Salt Lake City, Park City, and Utah County catering at www.culinarycrafts.com!