Spring is the time to celebrate all things fresh! Our April recipe of the month, arugula salad with asparagus, snap peas, and parmesan, is one of our favorite ways to feature delicious veggies that are in season right now.
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- ½ pound of arugula, washed and dried
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, deveined, blanched, and cut on a bias
- 1 cup avocado, diced
- 5-10 spears of asparagus, blanched and shaved with potato peeler
- 1 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 2 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1⁄6 – ¼ tbsp sugar
- ¼ lemon zest
- 7 ½ tbsp canola blend oil
- Combine all of dressing ingredients except oil in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- While blender is running, slowly add oil until emulsified.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- In a large bowl, toss arugula with dressing.
- Plate the arugula (approx. 5 servings).
- Top with peas, pistachios, avocado, asparagus, and cheese.
Blanching the veggies takes off their bitter edge and makes them a bright vibrant green color.
When zesting citrus, only zest the outer layer. If you get to the white fibrous part of the citrus (called the pith) you've gone too far. The pith is very bitter.
If your greens and produce start to look limp and wilted, you can give them new life by submerging them in ice water for a few seconds. They’ll perk right up!