- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces local dark chocolate: our favorites are Ritual's Mid Mountain Blend, Amano's Dos Rios, or Solstice's Madagascar. You can pick these up from your local Harmons.
- 12 cranberries
- 12 pretzels
- 24 candy eyes
- donut pan
- 2 piping bags
- cooling rack
- To make donuts: Preheat oven to 350°. Grease pan and set aside.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together sour cream, melted butter, and sugars until combined. Stir in vanilla and one egg at a time.
- Gently fold the flour mixture into wet ingredients and mix by hand just until combined.
- Fill a piping bag with batter and fill donut pan 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 12 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool for 3-5 minutes, then remove from pan.
- To make the ganache: In a small saucepan, bring cream to a boil. Remove from heat and add chocolate. Stir until smooth. Set aside for 15-20 minutes until ganache has cooled and thickened a bit.
- To make the buttercream for decoration: In a mixing bowl, mix together butter and sugar, add milk and vanilla. Mix on high for 3 minutes. Put into a piping bag and cut a very small hole at the end. Set aside.
- To assemble chocolate reindeer donuts: Dip donuts into the ganache, then place on a cooling rack until ganache sets.
- Place eyes, and cranberry in the center as the nose.
- Break/cut pretzels in half, length-wise for antlers.