Chicken Honfleur in a Miniature Sugar Pumpkin - Yield 10 servings
- 3 lbs of shredded turkey or chicken thighs
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 8 oz shallots - finely diced
- 2 tsp garlic
- 2 ⅕ lbs mushrooms - sliced. You can use your favorite type of mushroom. We love wild mushroom varieties such hon shimeiji and chanterelles. Button mushrooms and portobellos are also great choices.
- 2 ½ apples - cored and sliced - you can use your favorite type of apples but Fuji and Green apples work really well
- 2 cups of brandy - we recommend Calvados apple brandy since it really brings out the apple flavor in this soup
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup fresh thyme
- 3-6 bay leaves
- 3 cups chicken stock
- In large Saute pan, melt butter. If using chicken thighs, add chicken thighs and brown on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside. If using leftover turkey, add as directed later in the recipe.
- Add shallots to pan, saute until shallots appear translucent.
- Add garlic, mushrooms, and apples. Sautee for 2-4 minutes all ingredients are softened and the apples have started to release some of their juice.
- Add brandy. This will deglaze your pan and incorporate all that flavor stuck to the bottom of your pan.
- Add thyme, bay leaves, chicken stock, and cream. Bring liquid to a simmer and continue to simmer until liquid is reduced by a third- about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken thighs and simmer 5-7 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.