- 6 taste testers.
- Taste testers receive 2 oz of each root beer in question.
- Testers much provide a score for nose, taste, finish, and overall impression. They must also provide comments on each selection.
- Testers must give the first root beer a score of 50 for each category. Each subsequent root beer can be scored higher (up to 100), or lower (down to 0) as they see fit. No root beer can be scored closer to 100 or to 0, in any category than there are remaining root beers yet to be tested. Tester’s can give fractional point scores if they deem necessary.
- All root beers are tasted blind and in a random sequence. Only the chef who pours for the tasters will know the root beer in question until all the selections have been tasted, scored, and commented upon. At which point, the bottles will be revealed.
- Testers will be provided with citrus wedges, sparkling water, still water, coffee grounds, and plain bread to serve as palate cleansers between the tastes.
- 3 ranking systems will be created from the resulting scores: mean fractional rank, total numeric score, and Ryan's picks
August 28, 2019