- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar (or substitute Slide Ridge Honey vinegar, or lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (homemade extract is highly preferred and if you have whole vanilla beans, the seeds can be used instead or in addition to extract here)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- optional fresh ground pepper to taste
- optional 1-2 tablespoons mayonnaise
In a small bowl, combine vinegar, honey, vanilla, and salt. Mix well with an immersion blender or whisk. With your immersion blender running (or while whisking vigorously), slowly add the oil until the mixture is emulsified. Add pepper to taste if desired. Mayonnaise is an optional ingredient and will help the dressing stay emulsified - especially if you're making a large batch and/or intend to keep the dressing in the fridge for several days. Simply whisk in the mayo prior to blending in the oil.
Note: the ratios of oil to vinegar to honey are not rigid. If you want a richer, less tangy dressing, bump up the olive oil amount. If you prefer a sweeter dressing, just add more honey. This recipe gives you the basics, but the fun part is playing around and making it fit your liking or application.